Sunday, November 21, 2010

baked oatmeal

i recently had baked oatmeal at Yola's, a lovely little coffee shop here in madison. it was so yummy that i  had to find a recipe for myself.

the original recipe called for 1 cup of brown sugar and I reduced it to 1/4. it also called for 1/2 cup melted butter and I reduced it to 1/4 cup and added 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. I also used rice milk instead of regular and it turned out great. with the changes i made i though the sweetness was just right, not too much. the original recipe came from allrecipes.com.  the recipe below is my slightly modified version.

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, melted butter, apple sauce and vanilla extract. Stir in dried cranberries. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

very good served hot out of the oven with milk on top (or rice milk, in our house)!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I'd love to try that!!! Except who says 1 cup is too much sugar?! :)
    Actually, I can't stand how sweet the store-bought pre-made instant oatmeal is, so I guess I do kinda like not-super-sweet oatmeal!

    p.s. what's with the non-dairy?! and why do I feel like I should know this, but I don't?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.p.s. Did I ever tell you that I followed your suggestion (if not the exact link) and made homemade pumpkin spice lattes?! I don't have an espresso/latte machine, so I just whisk it together, but I LOOOOVE it and have to restrict myself to one or two a week! :)
    Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.p.p.s. I love Allrecipes! They are my favorite place to find awesome recipes!

    ReplyDelete

counter